Townsend names six Warriors for Italy clash
Zander Fagerson is one of six Glasgow Warriors selected for Scotland’s Super Saturday clash with Italy this weekend, as Gregor Townsend’s men look to bounce back from successive defeats at BT Murrayfield.
Despite shuffling his squad, each of the Glasgow contingent involved in last Sunday’s clash with Ireland is retained in the matchday 23 by Townsend, as Scotland go in search of a tenth consecutive win over the Azzurri.
Fagerson’s return sees the tight-head win his 37th cap for his country, having missed the meeting with Ireland due to suspension.
Younger brother Matt continues at number eight after his impressive form in the championship to date, having made more carries than any other Scottish player in their three matches so far in 2021.
Huw Jones is rewarded for his barnstorming cameo from the bench against the Irish by being promoted to the starting XV, lining up at outside centre for his first start in a Scotland shirt since last February’s Calcutta Cup fixture at BT Murrayfield.
An all-Glasgow midfield partnership sees Sam Johnson line up in the number 12 shirt, having made his international debut against the Italians in 2019.
George Turner rotates to the bench, having previously started each of Scotland’s opening three matches in the championship.
He’s joined by Ali Price, who is the most experienced of Scotland’s replacements with 40 caps to his name.
Scotland team to play Italy at BT Murrayfield in the 2021 Guinness Six Nations
Saturday 20 March (kick-off 2:15pm) – live on BBC Sport
15. Sean Maitland (Saracens) - 52 caps
14. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) - 17 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) - 29 caps
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) - 16 caps
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh) - 8 caps
10. Stuart Hogg CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 83 caps
9. Scott Steele (Harlequins) – 3 caps
1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 14 caps
2. David Cherry (Edinburgh) - 3 caps
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 36 caps
4. Sam Skinner (Exeter Chiefs) – 10 caps
5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 43 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 25 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 39 caps
8. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
16. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps
17. Jamie Bhatti (Bath Rugby) – 17 caps
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 29 caps
19. Alex Craig (Gloucester) – Uncapped
20. Nick Haining (Edinburgh) – 6 caps
21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 40 caps
22. Jaco van de Walt (Edinburgh) – 1 cap
23. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 26 caps