Seven Warriors in Scotland squad for Rugby World Cup opener
Scotland head coach Gregor Townsend has named seven Glasgow Warriors in his matchday squad for Saturday’s opening Rugby World Cup match, which will see the men in blue take on Ireland in Yokohama.
The Pool A encounter kicks off at 8.45am (UK time) in Japan’s second-largest city, with the stadium also the venue for the 2019 Rugby World Cup final in six weeks’ time.
There are four Glasgow representatives in the starting XV, with all bar one having played at the 2015 edition in England.
Sam Johnson is the sole tournament debutant of the quartet, as he starts at inside centre to win his seventh cap.
Tommy Seymour wins the battle for the number 14 jersey to start in the back three, with the winger having scored in every one of his appearances at a Rugby World Cup to date.
In the pack, Ryan Wilson is named at number eight having captained Scotland for the first time in their final Rugby World Cup warm-up match against Georgia a fortnight ago.
He is joined in the pack by Jonny Gray, who will win his 53rd cap against the Irish on Sunday morning.
Three further Warriors will be ready to make an impact from the bench as required, including the returning Fraser Brown – the hooker will make his first appearance since the Guinness PRO14 final should he be called upon by Townsend on Sunday.
Scott Cummings continues his meteoric rise by winning the replacement second-row spot, whilst Ali Price completes the Glasgow representatives.
Scotland team to play Ireland, International Stadium, Yokohama in the Rugby World Cup
Sunday 22 September (kick-off 4.45pm) – live on ITV
15. Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs) – 69 caps
14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 52 caps
13. Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 23 caps
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 6 caps
11. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 42 caps
10. Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 46 caps
9. Greig Laidlaw VICE CAPTAIN (Clermont Auvergne) – 73 caps
1. Allan Dell (London Irish) – 25 caps
2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 29 caps
3. Willem Nel (Edinburgh) – 31 caps
4. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 36 caps
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 52 caps
6. John Barclay VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 74 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 27 caps
8. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 45 caps
16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 42 caps
17. Gordon Reid (Ayrshire Bulls) – 37 caps
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 22 caps
19. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 4 caps
20. Blade Thomson (Scarlets) – 2 caps
21. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 27 caps
22. Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 10 caps
23. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) – 5 caps