Eight Warriors in Scotland squad to face Italy
Scotland head coach Gregor Townsend has named eight Glasgow Warriors in his matchday 23 to face Italy in Rome this weekend, as the 2020 Guinness Six Nations returns following its first fallow week.
Five of the Glasgow contingent will take to the field for the opening kick-off at the Stadio Olimpico, as Scotland look to continue a winning run in the Italian capital stretching back to 2012.
Zander Fagerson retains his place at tight-head prop, having started both championship matches to date in 2020.
Similarly, Scott Cummings continues his record of starting every match since his championship debut against Ireland in round one by earning his third successive outing in the second-row.
Behind the scrum, Townsend elects to retain the half-back partnership of Ali Price and Adam Hastings as his side goes in search of an opening win in this year’s championship.
Sam Johnson completes the quintet of Warriors in the starting XV, lining up at inside centre for the seventh time in Scotland’s last eight Guinness Six Nations fixtures.
On the bench, Fraser Brown will be on hand to provide an experienced hand if and when called upon by Townsend - his tally of 48 caps is second only to captain Stuart Hogg in the matchday 23.
There’s also a place for two try-scorers from Glasgow’s victory over Zebre on Friday night; George Horne retains the number 21 shirt after his two-try showing at Scotstoun, whilst Matt Fagerson’s impact upon his return from injury is rewarded with a first Scotland selection of 2020.
Kick-off in Rome is at 2.15pm on Saturday afternoon, with the match live on ITV, STV and BBC Radio Scotland.
Scotland team to play Italy at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome
Saturday 22 February (kick-off 2.15pm GMT / 3.15pm local time) – live on ITV/STV.
15. Stuart Hogg CAPTAIN (Exeter Chiefs) – 74 caps
14. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 46 caps
13. Chris Harris (Gloucester)- 16 caps
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 11 caps
11. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 19 caps
10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) – 18 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 30 caps
1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 5 caps
2. Stuart McInally VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh) – 35 caps
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 27 caps
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 24 caps
5. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 10 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 16 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 30 caps
8. Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh) – 12 caps
16. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 48 caps
17. Allan Dell (London Irish) – 30 caps
18. Willem Nel (Edinburgh) – 36 caps
19. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 40 caps
20. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 11 caps
22. Rory Hutchinson (Northampton Saints) – 4 caps
23. Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks) – 9 caps