Exeter Chiefs v Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow Warriors endured a tough afternoon in Devon on their first European outing of the campaign, as Exeter claimed a 42-0 victory in the Heineken Champions Cup at Sandy Park.

Whilst the 2,000 spectators at Sandy Park would have been willing their team to make a flying start, it was the visitors who almost began the match in perfect fashion. A kick-off straight to touch gave Glasgow a scrum on halfway, from which the pack earned a penalty from referee Mathieu Reynal. However, whilst Pete Horne’s kick had the distance, the ball glanced off the upright to deny the Warriors an opening score.

Instead, it was Exeter who opened the scoring on 13 minutes. Despite Ryan Wilson working superbly to hold up an initial lineout drive for the line, the follow-up was not to be denied. It was Sam Simmonds who emerged with the ball having touched down, brother Joe adding the extra two points for a 7-0 lead.

The hosts were stamping their authority on proceedings as the opening quarter drew to a close, and it was a face familiar to the Warrior Nation who extended their lead on 23 minutes. After multiple phases five metres from the Glasgow try-line, Jonny Gray was the man to burrow over under the posts for a score converted by Simmonds. To compound matters for the Warriors, referee Reynal decided to send Sam Johnson to the sin bin following repeated Glasgow infringements.

Yet despite that double blow, Glasgow’s defence held firm. A thunderous tackle from Matt Fagerson on Ollie Devoto set the tempo for the closing stages of the opening period, as the Warriors prevented their hosts from adding to their tally prior to the interval.

It took the home side less than two minutes of the second half to register their third try of the afternoon, however, and it was another former Warrior to apply the finishing touch. Having seen his side work the ball wide and Olly Woodburn bust through a hole in the defensive line, Stuart Hogg was on hand to collect the pass and race over in the corner, Simmonds converting for a 21-0 lead.

Despite Glasgow’s best efforts, the hosts were relentless in their pursuit of a bonus point, pinning the Warriors in their own 22. In the end it was the home captain that secured the extra point, Jack Yeandle capitalising on an overthrown lineout to dive over from five metres.

To their credit, Glasgow refused to throw in the towel. Jamie Dobie – on his European debut – and Huw Jones provided attacking impetus from the replacements bench, whilst Scott Cummings and Matt Fagerson carried tirelessly.

Yet once more it would be Exeter that would convert their lion’s share of possession into points; a turnover in midfield from Sam Simmonds saw the ball shipped wide, with Woodburn winning the foot race to dive on a chip ahead to score. Joe Simmonds continued his flawless record from the tee, and a 35-0 lead was Exeter’s.

There would be a final flourish from the home side with the clock in the red, taking advantage of a Glasgow defence out on its feet. Tom O’Flaherty’s break saw the winger dance to within five metres, before Jonny Hill crashed over two phases later for the score. Simmonds’ conversion capped off the afternoon, Glasgow’s attention now turning to the visit of Lyon to Scotstoun next Saturday.

live commentary 3:15 PM Sunday 13 Dec 2020

{{ comment.matchTime }}

Kick-off 3:15 PM


Glasgow Warriors

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up