Dragons 18-5 Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow Warriors suffered a disappointing defeat in Newport this afternoon, as the Dragons earned an 18-5 victory at Rodney Parade.

Huw Jones’ late try was a mere consolation for the visitors, as the Welsh side navigated the conditions to perfection to secure the victory.

It was Brandon Thomson who got proceedings underway on a dreich afternoon in South Wales, as the rain and swirling wind made conditions tricky in the early exchanges.

The first score of the match came after five minutes, as Sam Davies punished the Warriors for an indiscretion at the breakdown by slotting a straightforward penalty between the posts for a 3-0 lead.

Despite the challenging conditions, Dave Rennie’s men were always on the lookout for a chance to counter attack. A half-break from Grant Stewart saw the hooker feed Nick Frisby with a subtle offload, before Stafford McDowall and the returning Niko Matawalu combined to break out of their own 22.

Yet on each occasion, the handling conditions proved to be too touch a challenge to master. Indeed, it was the Dragons that came closest to notching a first-half try – Jordan Williams’ chip and chase saw the full-back only denied by the bounce of the ball, much to the relief of the travelling Warrior Nation.

Despite their best efforts, the Warriors were unable to convert field position into first-half points. Instead, it was the boot of Davies that contributed the remaining points of the opening period, thumping over a wind-assisted penalty from the halfway line to give the hosts a 6-0 lead at the interval.

After 40 try-less minutes, it took just 120 seconds of the second half for the first try of the afternoon to arrive. It went the way of the Welshmen – Ashton Hewitt’s line and acceleration took him to within five metres, and when the ball was recycled it was flanker Taine Basham who was on hand to crash over. Davies converted from in front of the posts, and the hosts led 13-0.

Hewitt then went from provider to scorer just five minutes later, with a little assistance from the TMO. Thomson’s kick was charged down by Ollie Griffiths, before a loose ball was hacked into the in-goal area. It was adjudged that Hewitt was the man to get the crucial downward pressure on the ball, and despite the conversion sailing wide it was the Dragons who were well and truly in command.

From then on, the Warriors were chasing the game, yet try as they might the crucial intervention eluded them. Matt Fagerson’s break through the middle was followed by an offload going astray, before a forward pass denied Matawalu a try after Glenn Bryce’s excellent chase from Ruaridh Jackson’s kick ahead.

The home side’s canny kicking game was keeping Glasgow’s attacking threat at bay, with Nick Grigg’s half-break and Kyle Steyn’s sprint down the touchline both negated by covering defenders.

The Warriors did eventually cross the line through Kiran McDonald with two minutes to play, as the second-rower crashed over following good work from replacement Jamie Dobie. Yet the TMO had other ideas, ruling out the score for an earlier obstruction at the breakdown.

There was to be a late consolation for the Warriors, though, with the final play of the game. With advantage in hand, Jackson’s wide ball allowed Huw Jones to arc around the outside of the Dragons midfield defence and slide over for the score.

It was the Dragons’ day, however, with Rennie and his squad now regrouping ahead of returning to Scotstoun next weekend for the visit of the Southern Kings.

live commentary 3:00 PM Saturday 26 Oct 2019

{{ comment.matchTime }}

Kick-off 3:00 PM


Glasgow Warriors

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to Glasgow Warriors mailing lists today to receive the latest club news, ticket alerts, merchandise alerts, community rugby activities and offers from our Sponsors & Partners.

sign up