Montpellier Herault Rugby

Glasgow Warriors’ attacking flair was enough to gain a four try bonus point at the Altrad Stadium but ultimately it was the home side who won the battle.

In a frantic match, neither side left anything on the park and it was Montpellier who took the points with a 36-26 victory.

Right from the off the game was played with intense energy and Fraser Brown charged down a clearance box kick and reigned it in ahead of the line to open the scoring.

Immediately the home side replied, consecutive penalties earned them dangerous territory and splintering over the line the Frenchmen forced themselves level.

Every time Glasgow had possession they looked dangerous and even though the final pass sometimes let them down their pressure on Montpellier’s exits were paying off.

Twice they forced turnovers 1m from the home-sides try line and the second time they made them pay, Peter Horne dancing through a stretched defence after quick recycled ball.

However, it was de ja vu for Glasgow, no sooner had they scored than Montpellier had even things up. Again it was a driving maul making meters all the way to the finish.

Glasgow would strike again shortly after making it five tries after just 20 minutes.

A perfectly weighted Peter Horne kick pass found Lee Jones. His step inside provided the platform for quick ball and Nick Grigg gratefully powered his way over.

Winning 19-14 at half time Glasgow will have thought they could have been further ahead and they started the second half with the same intensity that they had played the first, pressuring the home side as the crowd began to grow impatient.

However, Montpellier displayed just why they are considered one of the deadliest sides in Europe. With Glasgow searching for a fourth the home side turned over and went the length, taking the wind out of Warriors sails.

Moments later Glasgow were hit again, a clearance kick charged down and all of a sudden Montpellier were in control. Falling asleep for five minutes had hit the Warriors hard.

Warriors regained the upper hand and hammered the home side’s defensive line. Just as it looked as they were going to draw level Montpellier went the length again.

Nadolo displayed his power and strength down the left flank. He fed Aaron Cruden inside who offloaded in the tackle to stick the boot into a Glasgow.

Refusing to lie down the Warriors continued to try to play expansive, attacking rugby and through clever offloading and smart passes, replacement George Horne raced through the middle to give his side a glimmer of hope.

A late Steyn penalty guaranteed Montpellier the win in a game that Glasgow deserved to take more from.

live commentary 1:00 PM Saturday 16 Dec 2017

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to Glasgow Warriors mailing lists today to receive the latest club news, ticket alerts, merchandise alerts, community rugby activities and offers from our Sponsors & Partners.

sign up