Benetton Treviso V Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow Warriors finished 2016 with a bonus point win scoring five tries on Hogmanay in Italy.

More than 200 travelling fans witnessed the dramatic 28-35 victory over Treviso that saw Rob Harley reach 150 appearances for Glasgow and Nemia Kenatale make his first.

It wasn’t the start Warriors would have hoped for however with the home side scoring the games first try after just 60 seconds. Luca Sperandio finishing off a team move in the corner despite the best efforts of the Glasgow defence.

Much was made before the game of Stuart Hogg starting at fly-half and he proved just how versatile he is after fifteen minutes.

Intercepting on his own line, Hogg showed pace and stamina to outrun the Treviso defender to score Glasgow’s first try.

He converted his own score and moments later Glasgow had their second. As Warriors spread the ball Peter Murchie straightened up and found a gap. Henry Pyrgos collected the offload as the full-back was tackled, offloading himself to Tommy Seymour who ran in his eighth try of the season.

The Italians re-gathered themselves and started to show the same attacking intent with which they started the game, testing the Warriors defence for a ten-minute period.

However, they left the Glasgow 22 empty handed and on Glasgow’s next attack they had their third try.

After a few phases, Tim Swinson burst through a gap in the defence only to be dragged one meter short. The ball was recycled quickly and Adam Ashe, on his first start of the season, showed fantastic strength to swat away his marker and celebrate the occasion with a try.

Just as it looked like Warriors were going to run away with it Treviso hit back. A loose pass on their own try line bobbled in the try area and Dean Budd showed sharp thinking to dive on the ball before the startled defence.

The Italian’s ended the half as they started it and a penalty after the siren meant that the teams went in 15-21 at the break.

The second 40 started with another Treviso penalty as the Warriors found themselves on the wrong side of the referee’s penalty count.

With their lead cut to three Nick Grigg ran hard and straight, escaping the first defender before powering through the second showing a huge amount of strength to push over from five meters out for his first Glasgow Warriors try.

Hogg’s precision with the boot continued and Glasgow’s 10-point lead was restored.

As the clock ticked into the final ten Treviso were pressuring the Warriors line, awarded penalty after penalty by the referee and choosing to attack through the set piece.

Having taken another three pointer, the home side rallied and tapping another penalty Dean Budd powered over for his second of the day with the simple conversion equalling the scores.

Five minutes left and the game as tied 28-28 and it was Treviso with the ball.

Resilient Glasgow defence forced the turnover and the Warriors threw everything forward.

Sean Lamont found space out wide and made ground stepping inside and offloading in the tackle.

Rory Clegg was on his shoulder to collect the pass before wriggling and stretching to secure the win for the Warriors.

As the stadium announcer declared Stuart Hogg Man of the Match the day’s stand off kicked the ball dead. 5 points for the Warriors who are up to fourth in the Championship table.

live commentary 2:00 PM Saturday 31 Dec 2016

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up