Glasgow Warriors V Connacht

Glasgow Warriors knew a win was required in order to keep their play-off hopes alive and the men in black and blue delivered at a sun-drenched sold-out Scotstoun.Peter Horne in action against Connacht

The visitors started brightly and went ahead through Niyi Adeolokun, the winger finding space to dart through and cross the whitewash after just four minutes.

The Warriors hit back through a Finn Russell penalty in front of the posts and then increased their lead with their first try of the evening.

Stuart Hogg collected a loose ball inside his own half and then chipped a chased up to the Connacht 22. Several phases later the Warriors powered over with Corey Flynn dotting down for his third try in a Glasgow shirt.

Connacht replied through a Jack Carty penalty and then on the half-hour mark scored their second try to move ahead once again.

Nice build-up by the visitors saw them eventually score in the corner through their captain John Muldoon.

Glasgow were awarded a penalty in front of the posts five minutes from the break and Russell duly stepped up to close the gap to 15-13.

Connacht went looking for a third try as the clock ticked down to the break but the Warriors defended well and managed to win a penalty five metres from their line allowing them to clear the danger.

Glasgow started the second-half brightly and had a couple of opportunities to add to their score but it was Connacht who were awarded a penalty which they kicked to move them ahead 15-10.

Russell got his sixth Warriors try on the 50-minute mark. He collected the ball deep inside the Connacht 22 and broke a couple of tackles to score. He converted his own try and the Warriors led once again 20-18.

Glasgow started to get a stranglehold of the game and won a scrum penalty in the 53rd minute which allowed to kick deep into the visitors’ half. From the resulting line-out the home side went through a number of phases before a high tackle saw Jack Carty sent to the sin-bin.

Sean Lamont scoring the bonus-point tryFrom the penalty in front of the posts the Warriors opted for the scrum and drove to within metres of the Connacht line, before Ali Price collected the ball and scored under the posts. Russell converted and that was his last action of the match with Alex Dunbar replacing him.

The Warriors had increased their lead to 27-18 and both sides looked to run the ball every time they got possession of the ball.

With 15 minutes of the game remaining Connacht thought they’d scored their third try of the game but a last ditch tackle by Ali Price kept him out. However, Tim Swinson was shown a red card and Glasgow had to finish the match with 14 men.

From the resulting penalty Craig Ronaldson kicked the points and it was now 27-21 to the Warriors.

Glasgow were awarded a penalty with seven minutes remaining and Peter Horne stepped up to increase their lead to beyond a converted try.

But Connacht were straight back into the Warriors 22 as they looked for a way back into the game and referee Ian Davies awarded them a penalty which they kicked to close the gap to 30-24.

However, there was to be late drama with Sean Lamont getting the bonus-point try for the Warriors.

The ball ended up in the winger’s hands outside the Connacht 22 and he sprinted over in the corner sending the Scotstoun crowd wild. The conversion by Horne just missed and that was the end of the scoring, with Warriors collecting all five points.

Next week Glasgow travel to Allianz Park to play Saracens in the quarter-final of the European Rugby Champions Cup.

live commentary 5:15 PM Saturday 25 Mar 2017

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to Glasgow Warriors mailing lists today to receive the latest club news, ticket alerts, merchandise alerts, community rugby activities and offers from our Sponsors & Partners.

sign up