Glasgow Warriors V Cardiff Blues

Glasgow Warriors made it three wins in-a-row in the GUINNESS PRO12, as they claimed a 27-20 win over Cardiff Blues. Tim Swinson

On their return to Scotstoun, tries from Gordon Reid, Tim Swinson and Simone Favaro, as well as 12 points from man-of-the-match Duncan Weir, secured the win for the Warriors despite a late fightback from the visitors.

Glasgow made a strong start and were rewarded with a penalty when their opponents failed to roll away at a ruck. Duncan Weir made no mistake with the kick to give his side a 3-0 lead after six minutes.

The first try of the game arrived shortly after. Fraser Brown’s break was stopped just short of the line, but front-row colleague Gordon Reid was on hand to pick up and touch down. Weir’s conversion meant Glasgow led by 10-0.

Glasgow thought they had their second try on 15 minutes, after Mark Bennett was on the end of slick handling to cross the line. However, the TMO ruled that Bennett hadn’t grounded the ball, disallowing the score.

Bennett’s next major contribution was a searing break up the left hand touchline, giving Glasgow good field position. When the Blues were penalised by referee Dudley Phillips, Weir was on target once again to extend the Warriors’ lead to 13-0.

Cardiff responded by building pressure in Glasgow’s 22, but strong tackling from the likes of Tim Swinson and Rob Harley kept the Welsh side at bay. However, Chris Fusaro was forced off the field with a head injury, with Simone Favaro replacing him in the back-row.

On the stroke of half time, Glasgow scored their second try. A number of carries from the Warriors pack resulted in Swinson crashing over the line on his return from Scotland duty. Weir’s conversion meant Gregor Townsend’s side went into the break with a lead of 20-0.

The first score of the second half arrived on 56 minutes, as Rhys Patchell’s penalty registered Cardiff’s first points of the afternoon after Glasgow were penalised for offside. Henry Pyrgos

The 6492 strong crowd had to wait until the 72nd minute for the first try of the second half, as Dan Fish touched down in the corner after a clever kick in behind the defence. Patchell missed the conversion, leaving Glasgow with a 20-8 lead.

However, the Welsh side were immediately dealt a blow as Aled Summerhill was sent to the sin-bin for the remainder of the game after taking the man out in the air.

From the resulting penalty, Glasgow made their man advantage count immediately as Simone Favaro touched down from the back of a driving maul. Weir landed the difficult conversion from out wide to extend the lead to 27-8.

The Warriors were now searching for a bonus point and were looking to play from deep inside their own half. However, it was Cardiff who scored next, as Ellis Jenkins was driven over from close range. Patchell added the extra two points, cutting Glasgow’s advantage to 12.

With the clock ticking past 80 minutes, both sides frantically searched for a final score. After a number of phases and a frantic last few minutes, replacement second row Macauley Cook touched down in the corner to give the visitors a losing bonus point. Patchell’s conversion sailed wide, leaving the final score at 27-20 in Glasgow’s favour.

Despite missing the try bonus point, the result means another valuable win for Glasgow in their defence of the PRO12 title. Next up for Gregor Townsend’s side is the visit of Leinster to Scotstoun in just under a fortnight’s time, as they look to make it four in a row.

live commentary 2:30 PM Sunday 6 Mar 2016

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to Glasgow Warriors mailing lists today to receive the latest club news, ticket alerts, merchandise alerts, community rugby activities and offers from our Sponsors & Partners.

sign up