Munster V Glasgow Warriors

A late Ian Keatley penalty handed Munster a 23-21 GUINNESS PRO12 victory over Glasgow Warriors in an enthralling clash at Thomond Park.

The Warriors were missing 21 players to international duty on the night but it didn't show as a well-drilled side put Munster under extreme pressure.

Rory Clegg was in fine form for the visitors as he turned over six penalties and a drop goal to put his side on the brink of victory.

But tries for Dave O'Callaghan and BJ Botha as well as three Keatley penalties secured an important win for Munster.

The first foray of note came after ten minutes when a brilliant break from Junior Bulumakau moved Glasgow upfield and eventually brought about a penalty that was duly turned over by Clegg.

The Warriors were starting to look smooth and Bulumakau was the focal point for the Glasgow attack as the home side came under pressure in their own half.

But Munster responded and went on a rampage down the left as Andrew Conway burst forward and his charge brought a penalty that allowed Keatley to level things at 3-3.

After 25 minutes Munster thought they had the game's first try when Gerhard van den Heever crossed only for it to be brought back for a knock on.

It was a stroke of luck for Glasgow but they went down to 14 after 27 minutes when Tyrone Holmes was yellow carded.

And the home side took full advantage as an incessant Munster maul drove Glasgow back towards their own line and O'Callaghan nipped over for an easy score and Keatley added the extras.

The Warriors added another penalty shortly after and some strong work at the breakdown brought them within one on 38 minutes - Clegg the man on target on both occasions.

But their good work was undone on the stroke of half time as the boot of Keatley moved his side four ahead at the interval.

The visitors, now back to full strength, probed after the half but it was Munster who were dominating at the breakdown.

And while they were still waiting for their first try, Clegg was on hand to move the Warriors back within one as he remained perfect from the tee.

After 55 minutes Gregor Townsend's men were in front with Clegg slotting over his fifth penalty of the night.

Glasgow were relentless as Clegg lined up another just after the hour and the Warriors moved 18-13 ahead.

Clegg was taking advantage of every indiscretion from the hosts but his accuracy evaded him on 63 minutes as his seventh penalty of the night drifted narrowly wide.

Munster then began to bang on the Glasgow door and they found a way through as Botha crashed across and Keatley moved them in front by two.

As the game entered the final stages Glasgow desperately sought to craft an opening and they worked enough space for Clegg in front of the posts and his drop goal gave the Warriors a one-point lead with five minutes remaining.

Munster weren't done though and Keatley kept his cool with two minutes left on the clock as the hosts once again took the lead.

A late yellow for James Eddie meant Glasgow were up against it with 90 seconds remaining and they weren’t able to grind out the win they worked so hard for.

live commentary 6:00 PM Friday 2 Oct 2015

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up