Glasgow Warriors V Ospreys

A capacity 6650 crowd saw Glasgow power their way to a 31-19 win over the Ospreys at Scotstoun, as Gregor Townsend’s side claimed a valuable four-try bonus point in front of their home fans. Sean Lamont

Sean Lamont, Greg Peterson, Alex Allan and Taqele Naiyaravoro all crossed for the Warriors, with Duncan Weir adding 11 points with the boot to secure the points for the GUINNESS PRO12 champions.

With Glasgow’s World Cup contingent having now returned from the tournament, Gregor Townsend included a number of internationals in his starting lineup. Tommy Seymour, Richie Vernon and Gordon Reid were amongst those returning from Scotland duty, whilst Leone Nakarawa also returned following his impressive performances for Fiji.

Tongan Sila Puafisi started at tighthead prop, as he made his debut for the Warriors following his summer move to Scotstoun.

With a sold-out Scotstoun bathed in the November sunshine, Glasgow got off to a flying start, as a Duncan Weir penalty gave them a 3-0 with only three minutes on the clock.

However, the Ospreys hit back almost immediately, as Dan Biggar levelled the scores with a penalty from the halfway line.

Both sides were showing they were up for the game, as impressive defensive line speed from each team made it difficult to find any real opportunities. It was the Ospreys who took the lead on 14 minutes, though, as Biggar slotted his second penalty of the afternoon to make it 6-3 to the visitors.Leone Nakarawa

The Warriors went on to dominate the territorial battle, and were rewarded with the first try of the afternoon on the half-hour mark. A strong driving maul set up field position for Tommy Seymour to dance his way to within a couple of metres of the try line, before a trademark offload from Leone Nakarawa allowed Scotland centurion Sean Lamont to dive over in the corner. Weir was unable to add the extra two points from out wide, meaning Glasgow led by 8-6.

Dan Biggar then missed his first kick at goal of the game just moments later, pushing a penalty wide from 30 metres out.

However, he atoned for his mistake just minutes later, as his third successful penalty gave the Ospreys a 9-8 lead at the break.

Just like in the first forty minutes, Glasgow started the second half the stronger, and retook the lead after 43 minutes, Duncan Weir punishing an Ospreys infringement at the ruck with another successful penalty to take the score to 11-9.

Biggar then responded with another three points to make it 12-11 to the Welsh side.

The game was feisty at times and Josh Matavesi was sent to the sin bin for a professional foul.

From the resulting penalty, Glasgow scored their second try with Peterson powering over.

Glasgow were now attacking with purpose, and were rewarded with a penalty which allowed them to go 21-12 ahead.


Ospreys were then handed a set-back when Bevington to the sin bin just as Matavesi was returning, as Glasgow pressed for their third try.

Gregor Townsend made a raft of changes and moments after coming on Allan was celebrating his first try for the club.

The Ospreys were now looking to counter attack from anywhere and after 74 minutes Dan Baker raced through to touch down.

With time running out Glasgow eyed a bonus point try and It arrived in the 79th minute, as Naiyaravoro proved unstoppable from five metres out to touch down for his second try in as many games. With the last kick of the game, Weir pushed the conversion just wide, making the final score 31-19 to Glasgow as they begin their climb up the PRO12 table.

live commentary 2:30 PM Sunday 1 Nov 2015

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up