Glasgow Warriors V Munster

Glasgow Warriors returned to winning ways with a well-earned 27-24 victory over Munster at Rugby Park.

In front of a raucous 7,212 crowd, Gregor Townsend’s men ran in four tries to secure the maximum five points from a hard-fought encounter.

With the Warrior Nation roaring their side on, Glasgow made an electric start, as a quick break from Ali Price set up great field position before Sila Puafisi crashed over for his first try for the club. Duncan Weir converted, and Glasgow led by 7-0 just five minutes in.

Just two minutes later, and Puafisi was over again, as the Warriors went from one 22 to the other straight from the restart. Weir again added the extras, giving his side a 14-0 lead.

However, Munster hit back with a try of their own, with loosehead prop Dave Kilcoyne touching down for Munster’s first score. Ian Keatley was successful with his first kick of the night, leaving the score at 14-7.

Keatley then narrowed the gap further with a penalty to cut the deficit to four points after Glasgow were penalised at a ruck before Munster took the lead for the first time in the match, Kilcoyne becoming the second prop in the match to score a brace. Keatley’s conversion meant the Irish side led 17-14 with 25 minutes gone.

Weir had the chance to level the scores with a penalty, but saw his effort blown just wide, meaning that, despite their fast start, Glasgow trailed by three at the break.

However, a moment of magic from Weir four minutes into the second half saw the Warriors retake the lead, as the fly-half sliced through the Munster defence from 40 metres out to touch down. Whilst unable to convert, Weir’s try left the score at 19-17 in favour of the home side.

Munster were then reduced to 14 men, as scrum-half Tomas O’Leary was sin-binned for a deliberate knock on after 55 minutes, before Weir extended the Warriors lead with a penalty five minutes later.

Once again, though, Munster replied immediately, as substitute hooker Mike Sherry went over for the try out wide. Keatley was able to convert from a difficult angle, edging Munster in front by 24-22.

On 69 minutes, James Cronin became the second Munsterman to see a yellow card in the match, as his side were punished for repeated scrum infringements.

This time, Glasgow made the extra man count, as Glenn Bryce crossed for the bonus point try for Gregor Townsend’s side. Weir was unsuccessful with the conversion attempt, but Glasgow led 27-24.

With a man advantage and the edge at the scrum, all that was left for Glasgow to do was run the clock down and claim a well-deserved bonus point win. Next week the Warriors travel to Newport to take on the Dragons on Thursday.

live commentary 7:35 PM Friday 19 Feb 2016

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up