Glasgow Warriors V Leinster Rugby

Glasgow Warriors overcame injuries and a stubborn opposition defence to claim a hard-fought 12-6 win over Leinster at Scotstoun. Rory Clegg

On his return to the club after a five-month spell at Oyonnax, Rory Clegg kicked all of the points for Gregor Townsend’s side, as they secured a second successive home win.

With both sides showing early intent to play attacking rugby, it was the visitors who opened the scoring as captain Isa Nacewa kicked a penalty inside four minutes.

Glasgow immediately went in search of a response and, after sustained pressure in the Leinster half, were awarded a penalty in front of the posts. Rory Clegg, on his first appearance since re-signing for the club, made no mistake to level the scores at 3-3.

The former Newcastle fly-half then put the home side into the lead after 17 minutes, with his second successful penalty taking the score to 6-3 in Glasgow’s favour.

Leinster thought they had scored on the half-hour mark, but Zane Kirchner was shepherded into touch. However, Isa Nacewa levelled the scores with another penalty after referee George Clancy penalised Glasgow for collapsing the maul.

That was to be the final score of the half, with neither side able to find a way through the other’s defence. However, Nacewa surprisingly missed a straightforward penalty on the stroke of half-time, meaning the scores remained at 6-6 going into the break.

The first points of the second period arrived after 50 minutes, as Clegg once again made no mistake from the tee after a promising spell in the Leinster 22. Scott Cummings and Simone Favaro

Gregor Townsend’s men then had the chance to extend their lead after Leinster were once again penalised at the breakdown. Clegg slotted the kick from 40 metres and Glasgow led by 12-6 after an hour.

The Warriors were now battling injuries as well as their opposition, as Simone Favaro joined Peter Murchie, Rory Hughes, James Eddie, Gordon Reid and Sam Johnson in being forced to leave the field. However, the defence held firm, with a big hit from Nick Grigg, making his debut off the bench, was rapturously received by the Warrior Nation.

Leinster were now throwing everything at Glasgow in an effort to edge ahead. Yet again, though, a solid defensive showing from the home side kept the visitors at bay, with Grayson Hart, playing out of position on the wing, almost breaking away on the counter-attack.

With the sell-out Scotstoun crowd roaring their team on, Man of the Match Leone Nakarawa stole a Leinster lineout in the dying seconds. With the clock ticking past 80 minutes, all that was left was for Ali Price to send the ball into touch, securing Glasgow’s third win in a row in their pursuit of the play-offs.

live commentary 7:35 PM Friday 18 Mar 2016

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up