Glasgow Warriors V Racing 92

Glasgow Warriors rounded off their European campaign with a convincing 22-5 win over Racing 92 in Kilmarnock. Glasgow vs. Racing

With the game moved to Rugby Park after Scotstoun was deemed unplayable, Stuart Hogg’s try and the kicking of Finn Russell and Duncan Weir was enough to seal victory against the Pool 3 winners in front of a 9063 crowd.

Glasgow started the brighter, with Finn Russell opening the scoring with a penalty after seven minutes.

With the rain making handling conditions difficult, both sides struggled to make an impression in attack. Taqele Naiyaravoro couldn’t hold on to a Russell cross-field kick, before good defence stopped a Racing breakaway. However, neither side could fashion a score, meaning Glasgow led 3-0 at the break.

Much like the first half, Gregor Townsend’s side started the second 40 minutes with promise. Russell landed his second penalty of the evening on 47 minutes, taking the score to 6-0 in Glasgow’s favour.

However, they were dealt a blow on 50 minutes, as Alex Dunbar was forced to leave the field with an injury, with Lee Jones coming on in his place.

The Warriors responded well, though, and on 55 minutes were rewarded with the game’s first try. After holding onto the ball for a number of phases, Russell slipped the ball in behind to Stuart Hogg, who dived over for the score. Russell added the conversion, giving his side a 13-0 advantage. Stuart Hogg scores his try

A high tackle on captain Jonny Gray allowed Russell to extend the Warriors lead to 16-0 just before the hour mark. He was then replaced by Duncan Weir, with the former Kilmarnock FC youth player receiving a warm welcome as he made his 100th appearance for Glasgow.

It was Racing who scored next, however. Replacement prop Cedate Gomes Sa scored after a rolling maul, although Brice Dulin was wayward with the conversion attempt to leave the score at 16-5 to Glasgow.

Glasgow hit back on 68 minutes, as Weir was successful with his first kick of the evening, slotting a penalty to extend his side’s lead to 19-5.

Weir was successful once again with five minutes remaining, with another penalty taking the score to 22-5. Despite Racing attacking from deep late on, Glasgow’s defence held firm to secure the win, as attentions now turn to a return to PRO12 action and the defence of their league title.

live commentary 5:30 PM Saturday 23 Jan 2016

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up