Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets

In gusty winds and torrential rain, the Warriors put in a sublime showing to defeat the Scarlets 22-7 at Scotstoun.

At the break, Glasgow were behind 7-5 but the Warriors fought back to start the second half in terrific fashion, scoring through Peter Murchie.

The Warriors then scored through DTH van der Merwe before showing their resilience to secure a win which puts them at the top of GUINNESS PRO12 ahead of Ospreys' match against Dragons on Sunday.

Mike Cusack made his return to the Glasgow Warriors squad after not playing at Scotstoun since November 2012 due to injury and illness.

Following the defeat to Edinburgh Rugby at BT Murrayfield last week, Peter Murchie kept his place at full-back and Tommy Seymour was retained on the left wing, while Sean Lamont came in for Sean Maitland on the opposite side.

The Scarlets made only two changes to the side that was victorious over Ospreys at Parc y Scarlets last weekend with Scarlets Academy and Carmarthen Quins hooker Ryan Elias getting his first GUINNESS PRO12 start and South African prop Jacobie Adriaanse returning at tighthead.

Seven minutes into the match Glasgow had a chance to take the lead from less than 20 metres out but the poor conditions contributed to Finn Russell skewing the kick wide of the sticks.

Shortly after, the Warriors nearly scored a try when Cusack celebrated his return to the staring line-up by scrummaging well, winning the Warriors a penalty. Matawalu performed a quick tap and was on his way, dashing beyond defenders but saw his final pass agonizingly intercepted by a yellow jersey.

Scarlets then had some momentum of their own and had two penalties in quick succession but, with the wild conditions, both kicks were missed.

The Warriors were relentless in attack and thought they had crossed the try line but after going to the TMO, the try wasn’t given.

From that decision, Glasgow built up a long period of pressure and crossed the whitewash before half an hour was on the clock when the Warriors threw the ball wide and scored through Alex Dunbar after a Sean Lamont offload.

The Scarlets then ended the half on a high when Liam Williams broke through the Warriors defence and touched down.

After the break though, the Warriors were a different animal and began the half with vigor, scoring through Peter Murchie who celebrated getting married last weekend.

Finn Russell then converted the score to put the Warriors 12-7 in front.

In simply awful conditions, the Warriors refused to give in and began to break down a stout Scarlets defence.

Firstly, Russell launched the ball from range to add three points to Glasgow’s scoring tally.

With 70 minutes on the clock, DTH van der Merwe cut through the Scarlets defence after Matawalu performed a slick offload.

Russell then made no mistake in launching the ball between the sticks from a simple kick following DTH’s score under the posts.

That proved to be the last score of the game as the Warriors ground out the 22-7 win ahead of next week’s penultimate European Rugby Champions Cup group game against Montpellier at Scotstoun

live commentary 7:35 PM Friday 9 Jan 2015

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up