Ospreys v Glasgow Warriors

Rhys Webb scored a superb second-half try as Ospreys triumphed 21-10 over Glasgow Warriors to move into pole position in the hunt for a home semi-final in the GUINNESS PRO12 play-offs.

No team has ever won an away semi-final in the history of the PRO12 play-offs and Ospreys made sure they gointo the final round of the campaign in top spot after extending their unbeaten home record in the league this season.

It was a clinical 20 minutes after half-time which secured the all-important win for the Welsh side with tries from Ben John and Webb putting the game out of reach.

A late try from Chris Fusaro couldn't prevent Ospreys from picking up their fifth win on the trot and replacing Glasgow at the top of the GUINNESS PRO12 table on points difference.

It was a tense opening to the game but Glasgow took the lead after quarter of an hour through a Duncan Weir penalty.

Dan Biggar was unlucky not to put Ospreys in front when he broke free to charge over the Warrior's try line but brilliant defence from Rob Harley prevented the fly-half from getting the ball on the ground.

With Biggar off the pitch after taking a heavy blow to his shoulder in that passage of play, Dan Evans stepped up to take the penalty which levelled up the scores at 3-3 midway through the first half.

Ospreys received a blow when Jeff Hassler was forced off with a hamstring injury on his first appearance back after five months out with knee ligament damage.

And the Welsh side seemed determined to go in ahead at half-time but Biggar went for the drop goal and pulled it wide meaning the sides went in one kick apiece.

After the restart Biggar wasted no time in putting Ospreys in front for the first time in the match, converting a penalty to give them a 6-3 lead.

Then the Welsh side scored a brilliant try, set up by Josh Matavesi who showed quick hands to play a brilliant inside ball to John coming up on the outside.

John made no mistake, following up his Judgement Day try against Newport Gwent Dragons with the first of the evening against the Warriors.

Weir had a brilliant chance to put the Warriors back within touching distance but his penalty hit the post.

And Glasgow were made to pay for Weir's miss as the game approached the final quarter when Webb raced free for Ospreys after a cheeky little chip to score a brilliant solo try.

Biggar's conversion was successful but the Warriors made an immediate response, driving forward for the try with Fusaro going over.

It was all too little too late for Scots though and Ospreys got the win they needed to overtake Glasgow at the top of the GUINNESS PRO12.

Next Saturday the Warriors host Ulster at Scotstoun in what is now a massive game for the club as they hunt a home play-off spot

live commentary 7:35 PM Wednesday 6 May 2015

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up