Glasgow Warriors v Zebre

In the Scotstoun rain, Glasgow Warriors rose to the top of the GUINNESS PRO12 after a storming first half saw them notch four tries and secure a bonus point win. The second period wasn’t as entertaining but Glasgow showed their grit to seal the win in a feisty match which saw four players sin-binned.

Chris Fusaro returned from injury for the match with Ryan Grant, Rob Harley, Peter Horne and Sean Lamont all starting.

Zebre were led by Mauro Bergamasco, with his brother Mirco starting in the centre.

After four minutes Glasgow took an early lead when Rossouw de Klerk gathered the ball from a quick thinking move from Niko Matawalu and darted forward.

Similar to his try against Munster last week, the bustling prop sped forward but this time he offloaded the ball to the onrushing DTH van der Merwe who was able to touch down. Horne rattled over the conversion.

The game then dried up before scrum-half Alberto Chillon was sent to the sin-bin for stamping after 15 minutes.

From the resultant line-out, Kellock won it and the ball was then sent through the phases before, on his return from a three month injury lay-off, Chris Fusaro reached out a hand and touched down.

After slotting the conversion, Peter Horne was forced to retire with a head knock, meaning Connor Braid moved to fly-half and Richie Vernon came on to play in the centre.

With 28 minutes gone, Glasgow Warriors then increased their lead when Kevin Bryce gathered the ball 22 metres out before bursting through tackles and scampering over the line to score his first try for the club. Braid then converted.

As the half edged to a close, Matteo Pratichetti was sin-binned for persistent fouling in his 22 as Glasgow pushed for a fourth try.

After 35 minutes, Mauro Bergamasco was then sent to join Pratichetti on the sidelines after he showed indiscipline.With just 13 players on the pitch, Zebre were at a disadvantage and DTH van der Merwe notched his second try of the evening in the corner where Niko Matawalu had a try disallowed just 10 minutes earlier.

The score gave Glasgow the bonus point they craved and at the break, the Warriors led 26-0.

The home side weren’t quite as dangerous in attack in the second period and Dion Berryman capitalised on their slackness by scoring a try for Zebre, when he broke through tackles to dive over in the corner.

Gregor Townsend then made a raft of changes with both Will Bordill and Glenn Bryce having to spend time in the sin-bin following foul play.

Although the second half wasn’t as entertaining as the first, the Warriors showed grit and determination to grind out the win to move back to the top of the GUINNESS PRO12, ahead of a three-week international break

live commentary 7:35 PM Friday 6 Mar 2015

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up