Glasgow Warriors v Newport Gwent Dragons

In a tough game at Scotstoun, the Warriors demonstrated grit and determination to grind out a crucial victory ahead of a December period which sees Glasgow take on Toulouse, Munster and Edinburgh.

The 19-15 win boosts the Warriors up to second in the GUINNESS PRO12, setting up a top of the table clash when table toppers Munster come to town on Saturday 20 December.

The Dragons proved to be tough opposition and at half-time they were in front 9-6.

In the second period though, the Warriors came racing out the traps and scored a penalty try with Duncan Weir proving accurate from the kicking tee to clinch the win.

Sean Lamont, Duncan Weir, Ryan Grant, Fraser Brown, Tim Swinson, Gordon Reid and Henry Pyrgos were all included in the matchday 23, after featuring for Scotland in the recent viagogo Autumn Tests.

Dragons changed both wings for the trip north, with Wales international Tom Prydie and Matthew Pewtner replacing Tyler Morgan and Hallam Amos.

After former Glasgow and Scotland captain Jonny Petrie presented the match ball, the Dragons opened the scoring through a penalty from Geraint Rhys Jones after five minutes.

The visitors weren’t ahead for long though with Duncan Weir levelling the scores at 3-3 a minute after going behind.

After 16 minutes, the Dragons edged in front once more, with Rhys Jones accurate from the kicking tee.

The visitors then suffered a blow when captain, Rynard Landman had to retire injured.

The game was an end to end affair and after 25 minutes the Warriors were level, 6-6 thanks to a drilled Duncan Weir penalty.

Just before the half hour mark, the Dragons were ahead 9-6 with Rhys Jones firing the ball between the sticks from long range.

As the first half drew to a close, Glasgow were on the attack and their pressure drew a foul from scrum-half Richie Rees who was sin-binned for his troubles.

The score at half-time was 9-6 to the Dragons.

At the start of the second period, the Warriors started brightly and thought they’d scored through Niko Matawalu but after consulting with the TMO, it was adjudged that the Dragons defender had grounded the ball first.

From the resultant scrum, the Warriors drove forward and put the Dragons under pressure, with a penalty try eventually awarded.

Duncan Weir then slotted the conversion, before Dragons were awarded a penalty at the other end and Rhys Jones converted to make the score 13-12.

The game was a nervy affair but the Warriors were showing their experience by kicking for goal at the right time and after 60 minutes, Weir made it 16-12 with a penalty.

Minutes later, Weir then rifled the ball off the upright but saw it drop over, to put Glasgow seven points ahead.

As had been the case throughout the game, the Dragons weren’t for going down easily and pegged the scores back with Rhys Jones scoring a penalty to bring the scores to 19-15.

In the dying moments, the Dragons were relentless in attack but the Warriors managed to hold out and a massive sigh of relief was let out as the final whistle blew.

Jon Welsh was named GUINNESS Man of the Match, and is now one appearance away from becoming a Warriors centurion

live commentary 4:00 PM Sunday 30 Nov 2014

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up