Glasgow Warriors v Connacht

In front of a bumper crowd under the lights, the Warriors made it four wins in a row, collecting their second bonus point in a week.

Connacht proved to be tough opponents for Townsend’s men and at half-time they led 17-7 thanks to Hogg and Pyrgos tries along with Duncan Weir kicks.

In the second period, Hogg scored his second of the evening but Connacht were quick to respond with a try of their own and notched a penalty try later in the game.

In the end though, Glasgow proved to be too strong and scores from DTH and Bennett sealed the 39-21 win.

Al Kellock started his first game for the Warriors since last season's PRO12 Final, and James Downey played his first competitive game for the club.

Adam Ashe replaced Josh Strauss with Fusaro coming in for the suspended Tyrone Holmes.

On the back of their stunning 10-9 win over Leinster, Michael Swift, Rodney Ah You and George Naoupu made their first appearances of the season for the in-form Irish side.

Connacht proved to be a sturdy, battle-hardened side who were tactically astute in the opening stages, and restricted Glasgow to any breaks forward early on.

After 11 minutes, Glasgow were finally making inroads into the Connacht defence through Gordon Reid who surged through tacklers. The ball was then spun wide and Mark Bennett darted for the whitewash, however the man from Ayrshire was held up.

The Warriors remained camped in Connacht’s 22 and their persistence was rewarded after 18 minutes when Stuart Hogg spied a gap and touched down. Duncan Weir then notched the conversion.

Connacht weren’t slow to hit back though and after breaking through the defensive line, Scotstoun was silenced when Dave McSharry got the break of the ball and flopped over the line. Ian Porter converted to level the scores.

Glasgow regained their composure and on the half hour mark, Duncan Weir launched the ball between the sticks from long-range.

As half-time break neared ever closer Glasgow were anxious to increase their lead and they did so after a Henry Pyrgos charge-down.

Capitalising on a slack Connacht kick, he blocked the ball before diving in under the posts. Weir then converted.

The kick meant Glasgow led by 10 points at the break, like they did against the Dragons the previous week.

Six minutes into the second half, the Warriors scored their third try of the match through Stuart Hogg. After originally throwing a long pass outside the 22, the British & Irish Lion collected the ball closer to the line and darted over. Duncan Weir then missed the conversion.

Connacht refused to back down and it wasn’t long before they scored a try of their own through talisman Darragh Leader. Porter then converted putting them eight points away from Glasgow’s total.

The try stunned Scotstoun but they were on their feet moments later when Henry Pyrgos provided a smart inside pass to DTH on the 22. The Canadian ran onto the ball with lightening quick pace and dived over to score. Weir converted allowing Glasgow to lead 29-14.

It was never going to be plain sailing against a strong Connacht team and they scored a converted penalty try after 68 minutes to go within eight points of the Warriors.

A minute later, Duncan Weir extended Glasgow’s lead with a kick, making it 32-21.

As they had done throughout, Connacht pressed for another try but Glasgow counter-attacked with pace after 74 minutes through Mark Bennett.

He burst forward and proved too pacey for the chasing defenders, who then had to watch as Duncan Weir slammed home the conversion in what proved to be the final action on the scoreboard

live commentary 7:35 PM Friday 26 Sep 2014

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to Glasgow Warriors mailing lists today to receive the latest club news, ticket alerts, merchandise alerts, community rugby activities and offers from our Sponsors & Partners.

sign up