Connacht v Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow Warriors returned to the summit of the GUINNESS PRO12 and secured a play-off spot for the fourth year in a row with a riveting 31-13 bonus-point victory over a resolute Connacht at the Sportsground.

The hosts started impressively, controlling the first quarter to lead 6-0 through two Jack Carty penalties, only for the Warriors to hit back through Niko Matawalu's first try.

Shortly before the interval, a moment of sublime skill from Tommy Seymour set up Stuart Hogg to cross over, before Matawalu intercepted Robbie Henshaw's pass to complete his double.

That onslaught gave Glasgow a 19-6 lead at half time on Jonny Gray's first time as captain, but Seymour was sent to the bin and Aly Muldowney snuck over to cut the deficit.

Despite going down to 14 men once again when Chris Fusaro was yellow carded, Gregor Townsend's side reaffirmed their title credentials when Adam Ashe and Seymour crossed the line late on.

In the early stages Carty knocked over to give his side a 3-0 lead on six minutes and he made it 6-0, 10 minutes later.

Glasgow took their first scoring chance with aplomb though, stealing the ball from a Connacht scrum, and retaining possession as Fraser Brown's deft offload put Matawalu over in the corner.

Finn Russell missed the tough conversion to ensure Connacht retained a one-point lead on 25 minutes, before Carty pushed two penalty attempts either side of the posts in quick succession.

The visitors offloading game started to click as Seymour scythed through the Connacht line in terrific fashion to find Hogg on his shoulder with a pass out the back of his hand.

Hogg ran in to dive over on his return from injury and Russell added the extras to make it 12-6 with half-time quickly approaching.

Glasgow then grabbed a third try as Henshaw tried to flick on Carty's fizzing pass, but could only find Matawalu bursting through to cross over and Russell converted to secure the Warriors a 19-6 lead at the interval.

Connacht continued to show plenty of ambition after the restart but it almost proved to be their undoing again as Russell intercepted and burst clear, only for Henshaw to get back and prevent the try.

And the hosts were handed a chance to get back into contention moments later as Seymour was sent to the bin for illegally slowing the ball down in the 47th minute.

Glasgow held firm with 14 men for six minutes, until Muldowney was judged to have sneaked the ball over the line after referee Marius Mitrea consulted the TMO and Carty's conversion made it 19-13.

As Seymour returned to the pitch, Carty slid a simple penalty attempt wide left, only for Glasgow to go back down to 14 almost instantly as Fusaro was sin-binned for a high tackle.

The balance of the game was shifting at a furious pace as Glasgow scored a crucial fourth try when replacement Josh Strauss broke through to put Ashe under the posts and Russell made it 26-13.

Inside the last ten minutes, Glasgow began to pull clear as Seymour capped a fine display with a try in the right corner after the Warriors showed quick hands to find the winger.

Russell skewed his conversion wide to leave it at 31-13 and Connacht were unable to score a late consolation try as the Warriors reclaimed top spot ahead of their two remaining matches against Ospreys away, and Ulster at Scotstoun

live commentary 1:05 PM Saturday 25 Apr 2015

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up