Glasgow Warriors 16-14 Ulster

In Glasgow’s second GUINNESS PRO12 home play-off, the Warriors stepped up to the plate to deliver an incredible result, winning 16-14 with DTH van der Merwe scoring the winning try in the last five minutes.

At the break the Warriors were down 8-6 but fought back in the second period to secure the win, with Finn Russell banging over the conversion to seal it.

Fraser Brown and Henry Pyrgos returned to Glasgow Warriors' line-up with Al Kellock, Matawalu and van der Merwe all making their final appearances at Scotstoun.

Ulster restored Ruan Pienaar, Paddy Jackson, Darren Cave, Jared Payne, Craig Gilroy and Tommy Bowe to their backline. Captain Rory Best returned at hooker in a team that boasted 304 caps.

The atmosphere before the match was electric and made the hairs on the back of supporter’s necks stand on end with thousands of flags flying in the Glasgow air.

Despite the tremendous reception for the Warriors, they conceded three points when Ruan Pienaar converted a penalty within a minute.

It wasn’t long before Glasgow got back into it though, with Finn Russell rattling the ball between the sticks.

Townsend’s men then had the momentum with a number of his players looking dangerous.

One of them was Stuart Hogg who gave his side the lead after 13 minutes when he banged over a monstrous kick from inside his own half.

Despite Glasgow playing well it was Ulster who scored the first try. After some slick passing, Chris Henry found space on the overlap and raced in from the 22 to touch down.

Ruan Pienaar then slotted the resultant conversion wide of the target, with Glasgow trailing by just two points.

Shortly after, both Kellock and Brown were forced off the field for head injury assessments and were judged not to be fit enough to take the field of play again.

Leone Nakarawa and Pat MacArthur replaced them and were close to being involved in a try for the Warriors but a lost line-out five metres from the Ulster try line cost Glasgow before the stroke of half-time.

However, they produced incredible defence to prevent a second Ulster try and cleared their lines to go in at the break 8-6 down.

At half-time, Ryan Wilson replaced Chris Fusaro and Glasgow Warriors looked very dangerous in attack but lacked composure to see them over the whitewash.

With 60 minutes on the clock, Glasgow’s attacking dominance finally yielded points when Russell slotted a penalty 20 metres out to cut Ulster’s lead to just two points with the score poised at 9-11.

Six minutes later Pienaar stretched Ulster’s lead to 14-9 with a further penalty.

Having previously been on due to an injury, DTH took to the Scotstoun pitch for the final time after 67 minutes and with five minutes to go, Scotstoun erupted when the Canadian spurted over in the corner in what will go down as one of the greatest moments in the club’s history.

After the try, the Warriors were level, 14-14 and the weight of Glasgow was on Finn Russell’s shoulders as he lined up the wide kick.

The 22-year-old was as confident as ever though and rattled the ball between the sticks sending the stadium into delirium.

The Warriors then saw the game out to seal a famous 16-14 victory and will now head to Belfast next weekend for the GUINNESS PRO12 Final

live commentary 7:45 PM Friday 22 May 2015

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up