Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors

The Warriors showed great resilience to reign victorious with a bonus point in Newport after being reduced to 14 men early in the second-half.

Glasgow experienced a dream opening to the game, scoring a try through Alex Dunbar with Duncan Weir and Stuart Hogg converting kicks to give the visitors a 13-3 half-time lead.

The second half wasn’t as smooth though with Glasgow having to play the 40 minutes with 14 men following a red card awarded to Tyrone Holmes.

The Warriors stood up to the test though, and despite conceding a try, they notched three of their own, sealing the bonus point with a 33-13 win.

The main talking point of Glasgow’s starting 15 was the return of British & Irish Lion Stuart Hogg. DTH also started with Niko Matawalu and Josh Strauss both making their 50th appearances.

The Dragons were without summer marquee signing Lee Byrne so summer recruit Rynard Landman lead the hosts.

The Warriors experienced a blistering start to the game, touching down with only four minutes on the clock.

After a line-out on the Dragons 22 metre line, a move from the backs finished with Alex Dunbar bursting through the defence to score under the posts. Duncan Weir then calmly slotted the ball through the sticks.

The game was a scrappy affair at times with the Dragons showing themselves to be a well-organised outfit playing in front of a boisterous home crowd.

With 18 minutes on the clock, Duncan Weir was required to kick a penalty and the Cambuslang fly-half did the needful.

The Dragons were quick to respond though and put three points of their own on the scoreboard after 23 minutes through Angus O’Brien.

Six minutes later, the scoreboard ticked over in Glasgow’s favour following a long-range Stuart Hogg penalty. Before the half-time whistle, Dragons were reduced to 14-men when Lloyd Fairbrother was yellow-carded.

Leading 13-3 at the break, the Warriors experienced a nightmare start to the second half when Tyrone Holmes was given a red-card.

The TMO adjudged the Scotland internationalist to have been guilty of stamping on a Dragons player.

Five minutes later, the Dragons slotted a penalty following a Josh Struass knock-on.

The Warriors were unsettled and look to regain a firm footing on the game. Their tensions were eased slightly after 48 minutes when Duncan Weir rifled a penalty between the sticks to put them 10 points ahead.

That kick helped compose the Warriors and after a prolonged period of pressure in the Dragons 22, Josh Strauss bundled over before Weir converted.

The home side were relentless and looked to take advantage of their extra man.

They touched down with 57 minutes gone through Richie Rees and then converted the score to again keep the gap to 10 points.

Tommy Seymour was a shining light for the Warriors throughout and was rewarded with a try less than 10 minutes before the full-time whistle.

After a Stuart Hogg line-break, Tommy Seymour showed immense turn of pace to motor beyond tacklers and dive down in the corner.

In the dying moments, Tim Swinson charged over the line to secure a precious bonus point to set up a mouthwatering encounter with Connacht at Scotstoun next week.

live commentary 2:40 PM Saturday 20 Sep 2014

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up