Glasgow Warriors v Ulster

Against all the odds, Glasgow Warriors have secured a home play-off semi-final for the second year in-a-row.

After being 10-6 down at half-time, the team rallied and came out firing in the second period, delivering a famous 32-10 victory.

Stuart Hogg gave the supporters hope, with a try, before Russell scored two and Vernon also raced over.

The result means Glasgow Warriors finish the season top of the GUINNESS PRO12 and will take on Ulster again next Friday at 7.35pm at Scotstoun Stadium.

Al Kellock began the match with Finn Russell, Sean Lamont and Dougie Hall also restored to the starting line-up.

Ulster made 12 changes to the side who drew against Munster last week. Tommy Bowe and Rory Best started on the bench.

Scotstoun Stadium was looking at it’s magnificent best as the teams ran out in front of the 10,000 capacity crowd with many flags blowing in the gusty winds.

After just five minutes, playing against the wind, Finn Russell converted a penalty to give the Warriors a 3-0 lead.

In what was a turgid first half, the rain bucketed down and with around half an hour on the clock, Ulster touched down following a long passage of play which saw Jonny Gray sin-binned for being offside.

After 34 minutes, Finn Russell slotted his second penalty of the afternoon but it wasn’t long before Ian Humphreys extended Ulster’s lead to go 10-6 ahead.

In the last minute of the first half, Glasgow had their best chance of the half when the ball was booted down the line and with the try line beckoning, the ball was knocked into touch.

The Warriors were 10-6 behind at the break.

After a fairly quiet start to the second period, Stuart Hogg set Scotstoun alight after Russell threw him a long pass. The British & Irish Lion found space on the wing to dink the ball over the Ulster winger before gathering it again and sliding into the corner. Russell then missed the conversion.Scotstoun began to rock and the stadium was bouncing moments later when Finn Russell picked the ball up a few metres out and bounced defenders out the way before dotting down. The score was his first for the Warriors.

Ulster looked rattled and they were soon down to 14 men when Andrew Warwick was sent to the sin-bin after collapsing a scrum.

As the game neared an end, the Warriors continued to push and a number of scrums followed before Glasgow battered the Ulster rear guard once more and Russell dived over the line with 70 minutes played.

By this point, Scotstoun was rocking and the crowd were on tenterhooks, knowing one more try would secure the craved home semi-final.

The Warrior Nation didn’t have to wait long for that dream to become a reality when Richie Vernon picked up the ball moments later to burst through the defence and score the fourth try.

The stadium was in party mode following that score and after the final whistle Al Kellock addressed the fans, stressing the importance of their support for next week’s semi-final against Ulster

live commentary 3:00 PM Saturday 16 May 2015

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to Glasgow Warriors mailing lists today to receive the latest club news, ticket alerts, merchandise alerts, community rugby activities and offers from our Sponsors & Partners.

sign up