Stade Toulousain v Glasgow Warriors

Against a fiery Toulouse side, a resilient Glasgow team lost 19-11 in a match which saw the Warriors have two men yellow-carded and Niko Matawalu score a late try for the visitors. Townsend's men started the game ambitiously but went in at the break 6-3 down after Finn Russell was sin-binned.

Early in the second half, Medard scored a try which gave the visitors the momentum and it wasn't long before Nakarawa was also sin-binned.

As the game approached its finale, substitute Matawalu ended a devastating break with a try, but it proved to be too little too late against a French side who will travel to Scotstoun Stadium next Saturday.

The Warriors went into the match at the Stade Ernest-Wallon top of their pool after two impressive wins over Bath and Montpellier in October. Townsend named a side featuring a plethora of returning Scotland internationalists with Jon Welsh making his 100th appearance for the club.

Toulouse made six changes following their surprise 25-22 home defeat by Grenoble in the Top 14 last week with Maxime Medard, Imanol Harinodoquay, Yoann Maestri, Gael Fickou, Nicolas Bezy and Samoa prop Census Johnston all included.

The Warriors were brave from the kick-off taking the game to Toulouse and flooding forward at every opportunity.

More than 16,000 Toulouse fans were in attendance and they were all extremely vocal but Glasgow kept them silent early on thanks to relentless attacks.

Glasgow failed to get on the scoresheet though and on Toulouse’s first foray into the Warriors 22, after 18 minutes, they won a penalty and kicked it between the sticks through Sebastian Bezy giving the hosts a 3-0 lead.

Five minutes later though, the Warriors were rewarded for their attacking endeavour with a penalty from Finn Russell which went soaring between the sticks.

Glasgow’s fly-half was brimming with confidence and strolled through the opening stages of the game, with one particular kick after 29 minutes standing out when he launched the ball from his own half right into the corner of Toulouse’s 5 metre line.

With the half nearing to a close Russell then committed a thumping tackle and was sin-binned for his troubles.

From the resultant penalty, Sebastian Bezy converted giving his side a 6-3 lead.

With 40 minutes played, the Warriors were determined to hold out until half-time but the home side were awarded a penalty in added time. Bezy then stepped up to the tee and gave his side a 9-3 half-time lead.

Moments after the break, the Warriors conceded a try after a clever chip through from Dussain allowed Medard to gather, before touching down.

Despite some setbacks, the Warriors got on the scoresheet for a second time through Russell but after 61 minutes, Leone Nakarawa was sin-binned and Toulouse’s lead was increased to 19-6.

Despite being reduced to 14 men for a second time in the match, Glasgow’s never say die attitude shone through and in the dying moments Josh Struass breached the Toulouse defence.

The South-African burst forward before offloading to Seymour who was able to pop to Matawalu who finished off the devastating move in the corner.

Shortly after Weir’s conversion was missed, the final whistle blew.

In what was a disappointing defeat, there were plenty of positives to take into next week’s clash against Toulouse who now lie at the summit of Pool 4

live commentary 4:15 PM Sunday 7 Dec 2014

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up