Bath Rugby v Glasgow Warriors

In front of 500 travelling supporters the Warriors experienced an agonizing 20-15 loss resulting in their exit from the European Rugby Champions Cup. Montpellier defeated Toulouse which meant a Warriors win would have seen the club progress from the group stages for the first time in their history but sadly a push for a late match winning try proved fruitless.

Glasgow started the match is sensational fashion, scoring through Alex Dunbar and they led at half-time as well, winning 7-6.

In the second period, Vernon scored an incredible try after a fluid attack, but ultimately two penalty tries were to be the Warriors undoing.

Bath made one change after last week's 35-18 win away in Toulouse.

Captain Stuart Hooper replaced Dave Attwood in the second row, while Sam Burgess was on the bench.

For the Warriors, Kellock captained the side with Fraser Brown starting at flanker.

Mark Bennett was also involved after coming off the bench against Montpellier last week.

The Warriors enjoyed a blistering start to the match and scored a mesmeric try when a devastating line-break allowed DTH van der Merwe to offload to Alex Dunbar. He was then able to dart under the posts before Russell converted.

Glasgow were buoyant following that score and were close to notching another when a Pyrgos kick wasn’t dealt with by Bath but the Warriors didn’t get the break of the ball and the attack broke down.

Bath suffered an early injury when Kyle Eastmond had to retire and their first chance of points arrived after 12 minutes but uncharacteristically, George Ford sliced his kick wide of the target.

The hosts did get on the scoresheet with 28 minutes on the clock however when Ford successfully converted a penalty.

Moments later, the fly-half then doubled their points tally with a 40 metre kick at goal.

At the break, Glasgow were ahead by one point.

Following a successful first period, the Warriors began the second period in similar vein and scored one of the tries of the season.

Winning the ball in their own half, Glasgow began an attack which quickly moved over halfway with a number of offloads before Richie Vernon broke free and touched down in the corner sparking euphoric celebrations from the Warriors substitutes warming up.

In what was a vitally important match for both sides, Bath were under pressure to respond positively and they did so, through a penalty try which was converted.

Al Kellock was then sin-binned in the same passage of play.

The hosts led 13-12 at that stage but they weren’t ahead for long when Finn Russell converted a kick from the touchline to put the Warriors in front by two points, 15-13.

As the game entered the closing stages, Bath piled on the pressure and eventually managed to eek out a second penalty try which was converted, giving them a 20-15 lead.

As news filtered through that Montpellier had beaten Toulouse, meaning a converted try for the Warriors would be enough, Townsend’s men threw everything at Bath but were unable to score a third try.

After the game head coach Gregor Townsend spoke to and said: "I'm very proud of the players for the effort, ambition and skill they showed today. It's a difficult place to come and play.

"We're all disappointed not to qualify for the quarter-finals but there's more to come from this group of players.

live commentary 1:00 PM Sunday 25 Jan 2015

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up