Connacht v Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow Warriors overcame a stuffy Connacht side in Galway thanks to a try from DTH van der Merwe and 14 points from the boot of Duncan Weir.

After only arriving in Ireland this morning following the birth of his daughter on Thursday night, van der Merwe opened the scoring after just 6 minutes.

Duncan Weir kicked the conversion to make it 7-0 to the Warriors and force the home side to start chasing the game early on.

A few minutes later the referee awarded the visitors a penalty from inside their own half, which Mark Bennett decided to attempt. With the wind on his side the kick came close to going over but fell just short.

Former Glasgow stand-off Dan Parks kicked three points for the hosts after 15 minutes, but Weir restored the visitor's lead after 24 minutes with a penalty of his own.

As the Warriors came forward in numbers looking for their second try of the game they were awarded a penalty on front of the posts and Weir stepped up to make it 13-3.

Dan Parks then missed a penalty after 36 minutes, before the men in green went looking for a try before the break.

They came forward in numbers and came close to touching down but the Warriors defended strongly and went in at the break with a ten point advantage (3-13).

With the wind on their side in the second half Connacht went looking for a try and were rewarded with an early penalty after 46 minutes, but Parks' kick drifted wide of the posts and the score remained 3-13.

Ed Kalman replaced Jon Welsh in the front row after 47 minutes and Connacht did close the gap after 51 minutes, when Parks kicked his second penalty of the evening to bring Connacht within seven points.

Duncan Weir, who was in fine kicking form throughout, kicked a further three points for the visitors after 55 minutes to make it 6-16 and restore Glasgow's ten point lead.

Moray Low then came on to replace Gordon Reid after 56 minutes.

Substitute Craig Ronaldson, who had replaced Parks a few minutes earlier, kicked a penalty for Connacht to reduce their deficit and keep them in the game going into the final quarter (9-16).

Tyrone Holmes and Fraser Brown came on to replace Chris Fusaro and Dougie Hall, before Connacht were awarded another penalty which drifted just wide.

The visitors, who looked a real threat when they had possession, came very close to touching down again after 65 minutes when they skipped through the Warriors defence after a number of missed tackles.

Leone Nakarawa came on to make his competitive debut for the club, replacing Jonny Gray in the second-row.

The crowd sensed a real opportunity as Connacht continued to try and find a way through and they were rewarded for their efforts when they were given a penalty on front of the posts, which Ronaldson converted to make it 12-16 going into the final ten minutes.

Richie Vernon replaced Josh Strauss and with fresh legs on the pitch the Warriors looked for a score to close the game out.

Despite several attacking phases they couldn't find a way through but were awarded their fourth penalty of the evening a few minutes after Connachts' Mata Fifita was sent to the sin-bin.

Weir stepped up and converted the penalty to make it 12-19 and with just a couple of minutes left on the clock that score proved decisive, with the Warrios going on to win in Galway for the second consecutive year

live commentary 5:00 PM Saturday 2 Nov 2013

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up