Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Rugby

In front of a record Glasgow Warriors crowd of almost 9,000 people, the Warriors were crowned 1872 Cup winners for the fifth year in a row.

The bonus point win also boosted Glasgow into second place in the RaboDirect PRO12, putting them in prime position ahead of the remaining two games.The Warriors flew out of the traps early on touching down through Peter Murchie and they scored twice more through Jackson and Bennett. Edinburgh were resolute though and scored a try of their own, going in at the break 23-13.

After a strong finish to the first period, Glasgow were impressive after the break as well, notching through Peter Murchie for a second time before Matt Scott touched down for the visitors.

As the game neared a close, the Warriors scored once more before Edinburgh scored two Visser tries but Glasgow were able to grind out the victory.

Gregor Townsend made five changes changes to the team that defeated Ulster in convincing fashion last week with Al Kellock and Ruaridh Jackson returning to the starting line-up.

After turning out a number of impressive performances in the black and blue of Glasgow recently, Finn Russell continued his good form, putting Glasgow 3-0 in front after just four minutes.

Moments later, the Warriors were then 8-0 in front when they built up a prolonged period pressure before spreading the ball wide to Peter Murchie who held off Edinburgh tacklers to touch down.

Russell missed the conversion but he soon redeemed himself when he rifled home a penalty after 11 minutes to put his side 11-0 ahead.

Edinburgh weren’t out of it though and soon had seven points on the board thanks to a converted try from a Nel score after he bundled over in the corner.

Edinburgh were dangerous on the counter-attack and had a try ruled out after 20 minutes when Andries Strauss was tackled into touch superbly by Mark Bennett. A penalty was awarded for a foul in the build up though and Laidlaw did the honours.

The visitors were within one point of the Warriors total but it wasn’t for long when Jackson crossed the whitewash. In the build-up, Bennett made a fantastic run and was held up by a high tackle from van der Vesthuizen who was promptly sin-binned for his troubles.

Glasgow led 16-10 and after 35 minutes Laidlaw narrowed the gap to three points when he slotted a penalty.

On the stroke of half-time Glasgow were 23-13 in front after Mark Bennett dived under the posts following a neatly worked move from a line-out. Finn Russell then converted.

After the break, the Warriors continued from where they left off and following a Mike Coman yellow card, Glasgow crossed the whitewash through Fusaro but the try was disallowed.

After 48 minutes, the Warriors touched down to secure the precious bonus point. After great work from Finn Russell, Peter Murchie was released on the wing and dived over for his second try of the game. Russell then converted giving his side a 30-13 lead.

Despite Glasgow being comfortably in front, Edinburgh scored a converted try through Scotland centre Matt Scott, putting them within 10 points of Glasgow’s total with 58 minutes on the clock.

As the game drew to a close, Glasgow looked to have scored through Moray Low but the try was disallowed for a forward pass in the build-up.

Moments later, the Warriors touched down once more, but this time the score was legitimate.

After clever play from the backs, Vernon offloaded to Harley who raced under the posts before Russell converted.

Once going 37-20 in front, the Warriors were expected to cruise to the victory but Edinburgh had other ideas.

In the final two minutes they scored two converted tries through Tim Visser.

The Warriors held on though with Al Kellock picking up the famous 1872 Cup.

Glasgow: P Murchie; S Maitland, M Bennett, F Russell, T Seymour; R Jackson, C Cusiter; R Grant, D Hall, J Welsh, J Gray, A Kellock (capt), R Harley, C Fusaro, J Strauss. Subs: P MacArthur (for Hall 50), J Yanuyanutawa (for Grant 75), M Low (for Welsh 60), L Nakarawa (for Kellock 60), R Wilson (for Fusaro 60), N Matawalu (for Cusiter 60), D Weir (for Jackson 75), R Vernon (for Bennett 72).

Edinburgh: J Cuthbert; T Brown, M Scott, A Strauss, T Visser; C Bezuidenhout, G Laidlaw (capt); A Dickinson, R Ford, W Nel, G Gilchrist, I van der Westhuizen, M Coman, C Du Preez, D Denton. Subs: J Hilterbrand (for Ford 75), W Blaauw (for Dickinson 75), S Berghan, B Toolis (for Coman 75), T Leonardi (for van der Westhuizen 50), G Hart, P Francis, S Beard (for Strauss 50)

live commentary 7:05 PM Saturday 26 Apr 2014

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up