Ulster v Glasgow Warriors

A last-gasp James Eddie try stunned Ravenhill as Glasgow Warriors came from behind to down Ulster 13-12 for their second RaboDirect PRO12 victory of the season.

Flanker Eddie had replaced Rob Harley with 12 minutes left on the clock and it was left for Stuart Hogg - who also nailed two penalties - to kick the extras and take the win.

In a hard-fought battle, Paddy Jackson had drilled over four penalties for Ulster, who had seemingly ground out a victory before Eddie struck.

From the off the Warriors were knocking on the door and a Johann Muller high tackle allowed Hogg to smash over his first penalty of the game with four minutes gone.

But the home side, who were looking to put their opening RaboDirect PRO12 defeat to Newport Gwent Dragons behind them, immediately responded with a penalty of their own through the boot of Jackson.

The first points of the night soon clicked Ulster into gear as a shattering forwards drive saw Mark Anscombe's men charge downfield, resulting in another success for Jackson from the kicking tee.

Another kick from the 21-year-old - this time from a monster 45 yards out - followed midway through the half but it was fast turning into a personal tussle between the kickers as Scotland international Hogg nailed a penalty from a troublesome angle to the left.

The visitors were having trouble coping with Ulster's tempo through the phases and when Harley was penalised for not rolling away, the hosts' fly-half stepped up to do the honours once more.

In first-half injury time it was Hogg who finally erred first as his penalty rocketed inches wide of the post for the Warriors.

The war of attrition continued after the restart, with Ulster looking the more likely to build on their slender lead but for fumbling the ball in vital areas.

In one instance, Jackson offloaded to Luke Marshall for a clear run at the try-line, but the centre could not hold on to the ball for the simplest of scores.

On the hour mark the Irish side were this time thwarted by a valiant Warriors defence as four bodies pounced on David McIlwaine - starting in place of the injured Andrew Trimble - to prevent him touching down.

The visitors refused to let Ulster cross the whitewash despite a constant barrage from the forwards and had to settle for a penalty, which Jackson uncharacteristically blasted wide.

Moray Low was sin binned with ten minutes remaining to dent Warriors' chance of a comeback but nerves were getting the better of Ulster.

A break from DTH van der Merwe saw the Warriors breach the home side's 22 and moments later Eddie bustled through to punch home a try at the death

live commentary 7:05 PM Friday 13 Sep 2013

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up