Exeter Chiefs v Glasgow Warriors

The Warriors final pre-season game at Sandy Park was an entertaining affair with Byron McGuigan scoring a brace and Mark Bennett and Alex Dunbar also touching down as the visitors beat their Henineken Cup opponents 29-26.

The home side had the early possesion and were first to make their mark with a penalty by Gareth Steenson after just 2 minutes.

The Warrios hit back straight away going up the other end of the pitch and winning a penalty of their own, which Scott Wight converted to make it 3-3.

The Chiefs edged ahead again with another Steenson penalty after eight minutes but after a yellow card to Brett Sturgess the Warriors were in the ascendancy and went ahead for the first time nine minutes later.

After lovely build-up play Sean Lamont put Byron McGuigan in for his third try in three games.

The game was a physical affair with the Chiefs occasionaly chipping over the Warriors defence as they looked for a way through.

After 25 minutes the Chiefs went closest to scoring in the first half but Glasgow held the ball up over their line, although the referee took play back for an earlier infringement and Steenson made it 9-8.

Fraser Brown and Moray Low were then replaced on the half hour mark by Pat MacArthur and Jerry Yanuyanutawa for his first Warriors appearance.

And the Fijian prop gave away a penalty shortly after coming on for his debut. Steenson missed this time so the score remained 9-8.

With half-time fast approaching McGuigan scored his second try of the game and Scott Wight converted to make it 15-9 at the break.

On 50 minutes Alex Dunbar scored the third Warriors try under the posts, which Wight converted but after Henry Pyrgos was shown a yellow card the home side began to get more possession and from the resulting penalty Steenson made it 12-22.

Chris Cusiter immediately came on at scrum-half with Sean Lamont making way and it was the Scotland internationals first appearance in a Warriors shirt for 11 months.

The Chiefs made their one man advantage count with a try by Tom James, which Steenson converted to make it 22-19 and once the vistitors were back up to 15 men on the pitch James Eddie broke and put Mark Bennett in under the posts.

Substitute Finn Russell converted to make it 19-29 with just eight minutes remaining.

The hosts managed a late score after the clock had gone red with Tom James getting his second of the match which Steenson converted to make it 26-29.

live commentary 3:00 PM Saturday 31 Aug 2013

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up