Harlequins v Glasgow Warriors

Harlequins edged the Warriors 19-16 in a pre-season friendly at Twickenham Stoop, thanks to a late try from centre, Matt Hopper.

It was a close and tense affair between the sides and with the conditions replicating a wet weekend in February, the fast open and flowing summer rugby was severely restricted.

Harlequins started the fixture strongly and after an early scuffle between the two forward packs, the Londoners had a lineout inside the Glasgow 22.

The wet conditions suited a forward orientated attack and when the rolling maul gained more and more momentum, the try from Nick Easter was never in doubt after just four minutes. Nick Evans made no mistake with the conversion giving Harlequins a 7-0 lead.

It took just six minutes for the quartered men to increase their lead. Jordan Turner-Hall made a break in midfield and offloaded to Evans. The fly-half hacked the ball down field which was chased by Mike Brown.

Despite the Harlequins full-back being tackled without the ball, Harlequins gathered possession. The Warriors had a scrambled defence on the left wing and as the ball was fired down the line, George Robson set Monye up in the corner with a deft offload. The difficult conversion was missed by Evans and Harlequins led 12-0.

Charlie Walker appeared to have scored the third try on 15 minutes following a training ground backline move from a lineout. The winger's pace allowed him to finish well, but referee Andrew Small deemed that Jordan Turner-Halls running line blocked the tackler.

It wasn't until the 20th minute that Glasgow began to put phases of play together and gain momentum. Despite wave after wave of attack, the defence held out well and the Warriors could claim three points through Wight.

The Warriors gained possession from a neat Evans chip kick and the ball, destined for George Lowe, ended up with Richie Vernon, who broke the line and offloaded to McGuigan. Byron darted down the line to score and Wight's conversion was added giving Harlequins a narrow 12-10 half time lead.

Early in the second half Harlequins were deprived of possession as the Warriors built momentum and pressure. Sean Lamont made an early impression, breezing down the left wing and shrugging off three tackles.

When Glasgow were awarded a penalty in the scrum their fortunes grew even further. Despite Wight's penalty attempt ricocheting off the posts, Sam Twomey's attempt to gather ball resulted in a knock-on under the posts which gifted Glasgow a 5 metre scrum.

Staying camped in the Harlequins half, Wight kicked six points in as many minutes from two penalties giving the Warriors a four point lead.

After withholding the Glasgow pressure for 27 minutes of the second half, Harlequins finally began to build momentum as the game began to conclude. Tom Casson, who had a very strong game, made a half break which lead to a Harlequins penalty.

live commentary 2:30 PM Saturday 24 Aug 2013

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up