Glasgow Warriors v Exeter Chiefs

The Warriors picked up their first win in this season’s Heineken Cup against Exeter Chiefs, leaving them on five points from two games, going into the double header with Cardiff Blues in December.

Second half tries from Swinson and Holmes made the difference for Glasgow who downed their Exeter counterparts 20-16 in a tough encounter.

Exeter Chiefs led by three points at the break but Glasgow retaliated in style, sending a packed Scotstoun into raptures at full-time.

Argentine centre Gabriel Ascarate made his home debut for the Warriors on his Birthday and partnered Byron McGuigan at centre, while double try scorer at Stade Mayol, DTH van der Merwe, also started.

Glasgow's Pat McArthur and Ed Kalman helped make up the front row but Alex Dunbar was ruled out due to a shoulder injury.

Exeter started the match brightly and took an early lead through Gareth Steenson who thumped the ball between the sticks after just one minute giving the visitors a 3-0 advantage.

The Warriors were quick to respond though, driving into the heart of the Chiefs defence before being awarded a penalty which was duly converted by Ruaridh Jackson.

After 12 minutes, Exeter regained their lead with Steenson again getting his name on the score sheet, slamming a penalty over from the wing.

For the second time though, Glasgow levelled the scores within a minute through a Jackson penalty.

After 20 minutes, Exeter were awarded a penalty outside the 22 and Steenson showed composure to push the visitors into a 9-6 lead.

Two minutes later, the Chiefs point’s scorer was sin binned after committing a foul as Glasgow neared ever closer to their try line.

Exeter proved to be a highly physical side, crashing into tackles with Ed Kalman picking up a head knock and being replaced by Moray Low.

The Warriors failed to take advantage of their extra man on the field, finding themselves 6-9 down at the break.

Three minutes into the second period, Jackson had a chance to level the scores but his kick didn’t have the distance required.

The Warriors did go 13-9 in front though after 47 minutes. Niko Matawalu squeezed himself through the Exteter defence, before Tim Swinson charged over the line.

Jackson then stepped up and had the simple task of collecting a further two points with a conversion in front of the posts.

The home side desperately pushed for a third try and the Scotstoun faithful thought their side had dotted down after 69 minutes.

A sweeping move from the backs allowed Seymour to touch down in the corner with the home supporters erupting into euphoria.

Their celebrations were cut short when referee, Romain Poite went to the TMO and disallowed the try for a Maitland forward pass in the build-up.

Glasgow weren’t to be denied though and soon notched their second try through Tyrone Holmes.

A well-worked move with substitute, Duncan Weir at the heart of it allowed the South African flanker to dive over, increasing Glasgow’s lead.

Ruaridh Jackson then slammed over the conversion putting the Warriors 20-9 in front.

Despite the memorable try, the last five minutes were nervy with Exeter dotting down after strong work from the forwards. Henry Slade then added the extras following Ewers’ score, giving Exeter a losing bonus point.

As Niko Matawalu booted the ball out against the advertising hoardings to hand the Warriors a 20-16 victory

live commentary 2:00 PM Sunday 20 Oct 2013

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up