Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets

Scotstoun Stadium looked a picture tonight for its bow as Glasgow Warriors' new permanent home.

But the hosts could not mark the flit from Firhill with the result the whole club craved.

Scarlets, who had opened their RaboDirect PRO12 campaign with a fine home victory against reigning European champions Leinster last week, defended stoutly and possessed an ability to counter-punch audaciously.

The 4,348 Scotstoun crowd did its best to rally the Warriors but it was a disappointing outcome where some basic mistakes did not help matters.

Head coach Gregor Townsend told "The supporters did a fantastic job in making Scotstoun look and sound great, and we're all very disappointed that we didn't secure the win we know we were more than capable of delivering.

"Our discipline was much better than was the case against Ulster last week, but as a group we're well aware that we need to produce more complete performances to win games in what is such a cut-throat competition.

"We can and will be better, starting with another tough fixture away to Ospreys next Friday night."

Scarlets led 10-6 at half-time through unconverted tries by Aaron Shingler and Andy Fenby.

Shingler’s try in 23 minutes, set up by George North, stemmed from a turnover as Peter Murchie had tried to counter from his own 22 and some speedy spiriting of the ball left to open space by the Welshmen.

Shingler found himself in the sin-bin shortly after his score – Murchie involved again, this time as the victim of a high tackle – but Ruaridh Jackson missed that attempt at goal.

Jackson, indeed, endured two abortive strikes in that first-half (his opposite number Rhys Priestland had six missed goal kicks overall) but had given the Warriors the early advantage with a fifth minute penalty.

Glasgow mis-handling resulted in Fenby getting the dot-down after a foot-race and though Jackson did pull back three points with a penalty, it looked like an uphill battle for the home team come the second-half.


Duncan Weir replaced Jackson at half-time but Glasgow still could not spark, with Priestland, at last landing a penalty in the 44th minute.

Weir had the misfortune to see a penalty effort clip the upright and stay out but matters then worsened for the hosts as North thundered over with men outside him on the right for an 18-6 lead after 55 minutes.

A late flurry of substitutes heralded a 77th minute try from Chris Cusiter, recipient of a judiciously timed pass from Peter Horne.

Weir drop-kicked the conversion conveying an appropriate sense of urgency but hopes of a grandstand finale did not quite materialise.

Glasgow Warriors: Peter Murchie; Sean Lamont, Alex Dunbar, Graeme Morrison, DTH Van der Merwe; Ruaridh Jackson, Chris Cusiter; Ryan Grant, Pat MacArthur, Moray Low, Tom Ryder, Al Kellock captain, James Eddie, John Barclay, Ryan Wilson.

Subs: Dougie Hall for MacArthur (44 mins), Mike Cusack for Low (57 mins), Gordon Reid for Grant (70 mins), Angus Macdonald for Eddie (70 mins), Chris Fusaro for Barclay (57 mins), Henry Pyrgos, Duncan Weir for Jackson (40 mins) and Peter Horne for Dunbar (58 mins)

Scarlets: Liam Williams; George North, Jon Davies, Scott Williams, Andy Fenby; Rhys Priestland, Tavis Knoyle; Rhodri Jones, Matthew Rees, Deacon Manu, George Earle, Richard Kelly, Aaron Shingler, Jonathan Edwards, Rob McCusker captain

Subs: Ken Owens, Phil John, Peter Edwards, Sione Timani, Kieran Murphy, Gareth Davies, Aled Thomas, Adam Warren

Referee: Dudley Phillips (IRFU

live commentary 7:35 PM Friday 7 Sep 2012

{{ comment.matchTime }}


    To be announced, please try back later

    To be announced, please try back later


    To be announced, please try back later

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our newsletter today to receive the latest updates, content and releases from Glasgow Warriors.

sign up