Dragons 23-40 Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow Warriors travelled to Wales for the final pre-season game ahead of the new season and ran in six tries to end their pre-season campaign with a convincing win.

Next Saturday the Warriors face Connacht in Galway, but today the Dragons were their opponents in Ebbw Vale and it was the home side who started brightly racing into a 10-0 lead within the first 11 minutes.

Fly-half Angus O'Brien kicked an early penalty, before a mix-up in the Glasgow defence allowed Charlie Davies to dive over.

The Warriros hit back five minutes later, when they won a penalty inside the Dragons half and Adam Hastings put a lovely kick to touch. From the resulting line-out Glasgow went through the phases and Ruaridh Jackson found Rory Hughes on the wing and the Scotland winger ran it in. Hastings converted and the Warriors were back in the game.

Eight minutes later the Warriors were ahead of the first time. Starting with a lovely steal by Chris Fusaro from the back of a Dragons line-out, Glasgow worked their way up the pitch. Several phases later the ball ended up in Ruaridh Jackson's hands after the full-back ran a lovely line piercing the home defence. Jackson touched down under the posts and Hastings converted to give the Warriors a 14-10 lead.

The Dragons closed the gap with a Angus O'Brien penalty after the Warriors were penalised for not rolling away and the score remained 14-13 at half-time.

Early in the second-half O'Brien kicked another penalty to push the Dragons ahead once more, but the Warriors then turned on the style.

Pete Horne was instrumental in the third Glasgow try, feeding Nick Grigg in space and the Scotland centre touched down. Horne converted the score to make it 21-16 to the Warriors.

Moments later new signing Lelia Masaga, who had come on to make his debut at half-time along with George Turner, created a piece of magic. The New Zealander managed to break several tackles starting from inside his own 22. He got the ball to Scott Cummings who sped up the far touchline to score and Glasgow were now 26-16 ahead, even with Horne's conversion narrowly missing.

Another score followed minutes later with Sam Johnson this time breaking tackles and doing really well to power his way over the line under the posts. Horne converted to give the Warriors a 33-16 lead and more was to follow.

The sixth try came almost on the hour mark. Paddy Kelly got the ball deep inside the Dragons half and the young centre did well to get through the Dragons defence to score. Horne kicked another conversion and Glasgow had a 40-16 lead with twenty minutes of the game remaining.

It was end-to-end action as both teams looked to add to the scoreboard and the Dragons managed to do just that right at the death.

Their converted score meant the final score was 40-23, with the Warriors coming out on top ahead of next weekend's trip to Galway.

Head Coach Dave Rennie said after game he was much happier with the second-half and was pleased that a number of players had made a statement.

Speaking to glasgowwarriors.org, he said: "It was a good second-half. I thought we were flat in the first, but I was really pleased with the increase in tempo in the second-half.

"These games have been an opportunity for players to make a bit of a statement. The games have given us confidence that we have some good young kids coming through. The depth is going to be important."