Edinburgh secure victory but Glasgow win back Cup

Glasgow Warriors secured the 1872 Cup for the first time in three years but Edinburgh came out on top 29-18 at a sun-drenched Scotstoun.Sean Lamont on the attack on his final appearance for the club

Gregor Townsend signed off as Warriors head coach with a defeat after Edinburgh rallied in the second-half with tries from Damien Hoyland and Glenn Bryce that trimmed the aggregate score to just two points.

But a classy try from Stuart Hogg on his 100th club appearance and captain Jonny Gray’s first-half try ensured Warriors snatched the 1872 Cup away from Edinburgh in the final Guinness PRO12 match.

In front of a sell-out Scotstoun crowd Finn Russell converted an early penalty after just 90 seconds.

But Edinburgh showed a great deal of resolve in the opening stages.

Duncan Weir traded penalties with Russell as Edinburgh looked to cut the 13 point aggregate deficit from the first leg.

Ross Ford and then Sam Hidalgo-Clyne were given yellow cards by referee Mike Adamson.

The Warriors eventually broke down a resilient Edinburgh defence with little over 30 seconds on the clock in the first-half.

A fine move which saw Scott Cummings produce a neat offload to skipper Gray who was able to bundle the ball over the line and give the Warriors the half-time advantage.

Stuart Hogg scores on his 100th appearance Lee Jones thought he had given Glasgow the lead again early in the second-half after a Weir penalty – but the winger was adjudged to have put his foot in touch by the finest of margins.

Edinburgh gave themselves a glimmer of hope after Hoyland powered over the line as he evaded Hogg with neat footwork.

But then Hogg showed his class to break a dogged Edinburgh defensive line.

The ball was passed out to the 24-year-old from the scrum who was able to find a gap and power the ball home.

Bryce’s late try, almost on the 80 minute mark, and Weir’s brilliant kicking in difficult windy conditions was not quite enough to give the capital city side an unlikely cup triumph.

Glasgow won back the cup as the Gregor Townsend era at Scotstoun came to an end.