vs ,

Against one of the best sides in England, the Warriors narrowly lost out after a flurry of late tries denied a win in their first friendly at Scotstoun.DTH scores against Harlequins

Behind 7-6 at half-time following a Joe Marler try, the Warriors came out all guns blazing in the second period, touching down three times through a DTH try and a Niko Matawalu brace.

In the last ten minutes though, Harlequins scored two tries to win by a single point.

From the kick-off, Glasgow made all the early running and their efforts were rewarded after three minutes when Duncan Weir slotted a penalty.

From that moment, the visitors slowly moved into the ascendency and following a long period of pressure, the Quins drove forward in numbers, touching down after 17 minutes through captain, Joe Marler and Nick Evans was able to convert.

In the Scotstoun sunshine, the crowd were enjoying the match and the volume levels were raised after half an hour when Leone Nakarawa made a searing break through the centre of the Quins defence.

The towering lock offloaded the ball to Murray McConnell but the young scrum-half was stopped in his tracks.

In an off-the-ball incident that occurred following the break down of the attack, Nakarawa was shown a yellow card.

As the break neared, the intensity of the game increased and Danny Care was next to be sent to the sin-bin after another incident off the ball following a try saving tackle by Lee Jones.

Niko Matawalu in action against HarlequinsAfter going in at the break 7-6 down, Townsend brought on DTH van der Merwe and Niko Matawalu but it was Quins who increased their lead minutes into the second period when Kyle Sinckler bundled over from a line-out and Evans converted.

After 51 minutes, the Warriors crept back into proceedings when Niko Matawalu chipped the ball over the Quins defence before finishing off the move to complete a sublime try and Weir added the extras.

Before the Warrior Nation knew it, Glasgow were 18-14 ahead when DTH van der Merwe bounced off tacklers on the left wing before offloading to Mark Bennett who then found Niko Matawalu who raced towards the line and touched down.

The Warriors were in full flow and after 64 minutes DTH scored Glasgow’s third try.

Harlequins were pushing for the try line but a stray pass was picked out the air by van der Merwe who turned on the gas, racing clear of Marland Yarde to score in the corner.

Despite being 23-14 up, the Warriors conceded two late tries allowing Quins to go one point ahead, leading 24-23.

With 73 minutes on the clock, the Warriors conceded a try as Ollie Lindsay Hague went over and three minutes later, Marland Yarde looked to have been bundled into touch but the dreadlocked winger reached out a hand to score in the corner.

After the match, Townsend and his coaching team cooled off with the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and nominated the Edinburgh coaching staff.

Next week, Glasgow will travel to England to take on London Scottish before Leinster come calling in the GUINNESS PRO12 opener on Saturday 6 September.

Team lineups

Glasgow Warriors




15 Mike Brown
14 Marland Yarde
13 Matt Hopper
12 Jordan Turner Hall
11 Ugo Monye
10 Nick Evans
9 Danny Care



1 Joe Marler
2 Joe Gray
3 Kyle Sinckler
4 Charlie Matthews
5 George Robson
6 Luke Wallace
7 Chris Robshaw
8 Nick Easter



Rob Buchanan
Mark Lambert
Paul Doran Jones
George Merrick
Sam Twomey
Joe Trayfoot
Jack Clifford
Karl Dickson
Ben Botica
Ross Chisholm


3 849
There is no points table for this competition.